Skip to main content

Top 10 80s Teen/Brat Pack Movies

Like I said, I've decided I want to try and do a new post every Sunday. I've decided that what I'm actually going to do is to have a Top 10 list every Sunday. The last few I've done have been a lot of fun so I figure, why not make it a new thing. Hopefully some people out there will enjoy them! So here they are: my list of Top 10 80's Teen/Brat Pack movies.




10.) Dirty Dancing
I put this last, only because I was iffy on even putting it on the list because its not really a "Brat Pack" film, or the kind of "high school" movie I had intended, but she is a teen so I think it counts. Great coming of age/ discovering love movie.








 9.) Footloose
Really great "fight the man"story. I enjoy any movie that proves that adults aren't always right, and kids/teens aren't always wrong. Great soundtrack and a great movie about fitting in as an outsider.






8.) The Outsiders
Who doesn't love a good gang movie. Greasers vs preps? Talk about excitement! Almost everyone in this movie became huge stars so it makes it pretty interesting to watch. Tom Cruise looks super different, but he's still crazy, so its all good. Great book and story, something everyone should check out at least once in their lives.









7.) Pretty In Pink
A sweet movie about not being afraid to be yourself in a world that doesn't appreciate people who are unique. Andie has to choose between giving her best friend Duckie a chance, or stepping out of her comfort zone and giving Blane, a rich popular boy at her school, a chance. Great movie that tackles class segregation as well.






6.) Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Have you ever wanted to see Sean Penn play a stoner, "Surfer-dude" character? Well this is your chance. This movie is seriously hilarious and a great movie about life as a teen, discovering love and lust, and the hardships that come with high school, and heartbreak. Really great movie.





5.) St. Elmo's Fire
Who doesn't love Rob Lowe as a badboy who plays the saxophone? Great film for the next chapter of life. A group of friends have just graduated college and are learning about how life really works. Love, moving in together, marriage, cheating, alcohol, drugs,  being a stalker; just a few of the many themes covered in this movie. Half the characters are just awful, and the other half are too sweet to even be friends with the bad ones.



4.) Sixteen Candles
This movie starts off with every teen's worst nightmare; your entire family forgetting your sixteenth birthday. This is a classic "regular girl has huge crush on most popular boy in school who happens to be dating the bitchy most popular girl in school" scenario, but it really stands on its own. You can't help but adore all of the characters, and it really makes you feel like your life is not so bad. Will Samantha's nightmare turn into a dream come true? Check it out!



3.) Say Anything
A genuinely nice guy finally gets the guts to ask out the beautiful and smart valedictorian of his class the day of graduation. So begins the ups and downs of a summer romance before she goes to college. I had no idea where the classic "boombox overhead outside of your window" scene came from until I watched this movie. Such a classic romantic scene that every girl dreams of. Or at least every girl who's a fan of these 80's teen movies.



2.) Ferris Bueller's Day Off

It doesn't get more classic then this. John Hughes is a genius. I love the style of filming in this movie where the main character talks directly into the film and at the audience. It really adds to the charm of the film. Plus, who doesn't love a random musical number in a random parade in the middle of a movie? Its really how any teen wants a day to go when they skip off school to go to the city with their friends.  The whole movie you're just hoping and wondering if Ferris will pull it off. 

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."




1.) The Breakfast Club

The Breakfast Club is undoubtably the greatest teen film of all time. It pretty much hits almost every teen issue besides pregnancy. Drugs, sex, love, suicide, pressure in school, pressure in sports, pressure to be popular, pressure to fit in, loneliness, divorce, trouble at home, bullying. People who are normally the bad guys in movies, you can't help but feel bad for (ie the Jock or popular girl). You can't help but  connect, at least on some level, with every character, and thats the pure genius that was John Hughes. I don't know anyone who has ever seen this movie who hasn't enjoyed it. I mean, it was made over 25 years ago and it still speaks to so many kids today. 

"Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain ...and an athlete ...and a basket case... a princess... and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies

13 June 2013 So its been more then a month since posting anything, but for me summer has come and I'm working full time. However, I got a new position this week that leave me more time on the computer so you'll probably and hopefully see more of me from now on. Most of these films I'd say are more directed towards 7-12 year olds. I'd say maybe Labyrinth, Space Jam and Matilda might be an exception for those. Its not that the rest aren't appropriate for them, but more that they might not like them as much. All of them are fantastic films but for this one I went 100% with my own personal experience and preference. Please enjoy this weeks list, Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies. 10.) The Muppets Treasure Island I've never had a huge connection with The Muppets, but I thought a lot of people who feel this list would be unacceptable without it. I've only seen this film once or twice many, many years ago, but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm sort of usin

Top 5 Scorsese Films

Top 5 Scorsese Films On my Top 10 Directors list Scorsese topped it. I absolutely adore his films, he absolutely mastered crime thrillers. All of his films have a lot of grit to them, but they always have so many amazing twists and turns. If you haven't seen any of his films, check yourself, because his films are fantastic. For those of you who might disagree with some of the films I left out, I haven't seen Raging Bull so, apologies that it will not break the top 5, but it IS under honourable mentions!