Skip to main content

Top 10 Family Christmas Movies

I LOVE Christmas, and therefore, I love Christmas movies. While researching for this list I realized there are a number of classic christmas films that I've never seen, so I imagine this list will change multiple times before I'm done. Hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas season

10.) The Nightmare Before Christmas
I've actually only seen this film once or twice, even though I love Tim Burton, its not a movie that really puts me in the Christmas spirit. I'm definitely going to watch it again this year and perhaps I will feel a little differently. Don't get me wrong though, still a great movie, super enjoyable and the sets and animations are super impressive, this was really during the prime for Tim Burton, definitely one of his greatest achievements.


9.) The Muppet Christmas Carol
Great way to do a retelling of a classic tale. Everyone loves The Muppets so adding Michael Caine into that mix can only be awesome. Michael Caine plays Scrooge, Kermit plays Bob Cratchit, and Miss Piggy is Emily Cratchit.  A super fun way to share the story with kids!

8.) Home Alone 2
This is a great example of how to do a successful sequel. I'm so glad they got the original burglars back as well as Macaulay Culkin. Bringing the film to New York City was a great choice and there are so many wonderful characters. I love this one and I can't wait to watch it again this year!

7.) Frosty the Snowman
Who wouldn't want to watch a movie about the song that everyone knows and loves? Its only 25 minutes long but its such a sweet story of friendship and magic. Perfect for the holiday season. Who doesn't love Frosty?

6.) A Charlie Brown Christmas
This movie is so great, so many classic moments throughout. The music is memorable, especially the dancing, and of course Charlie Brown's sad little Christmas tree. We follow Charlie Brown as he tries to find the true meaning of Christmas. All of the characters you love are there, and its just an overall enjoyable experience! 

5.) Elf
I find Will Ferrell movies to be very hit or miss for me, but Elf is definitely a hit, probably my favourite of his films. Such a ridiculous concept, a human being raised as an elf only to find out when be becomes and adult that he isn't an elf at all. Will Ferrell gives it 200% which was totally necessary to make this film as good as it is. The characters are all great and adding the stop-motion animation in the North Pole really added to the fantasticalness of it. I don't think it matters if you are a fan of Farrell or not, such an enjoyable movie.

4.) Home Alone
Such a classic Christmas movie from the genius John Hughes. Such a fun movie for kids and adults alike, who doesn't enjoy watching some burglers get out-smarted by an 8 year old? Slightly violent at parts, and unrealistic in the amount of damage that is occured to them, not sure they would've actually survived the ordeal. I love ever moment of this movie, Macaulay Culkin was so cute!

3.) The Santa Clause
Almost made this one #1 because its been one of my favourites my whole life, but I decided that I'm ok with it at #2. This is a perfect example of a great family movie from the 90s, and adding Christmas to it only made it better. Charlie is so sweet, as is the story. I love Santa's workshop and all of the elves. A funny little movie that gets me in the Christmas spirit every time :)


2.) How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
Probably the greatest Christmas classic of all time. Dr. Seuss tells a fantastic story about the true meaning of Christmas, leaving us with a warm feeling after having seen a great story. Its amazing how short the film is, only 25 minutes, but jammed-packed with joyful, Christmas Spirit. So wonderful, one of my personal favourites for sure!

1.) The Polar Express
I was a little hesitant to make this #1 because its a fairly recent film, but in the end, I just love this movie. Fantastic music, great animation, a good message, and an unreal amount of Tom Hanks. Put that together and you get a perfect Christmas movie. For the last 6 or 7 years its been a tradition in my family to watch it on Christmas Eve and I love it, especially with a little hot chocolate. I'm sure everyone on earth has seen this film, but if you are one of the very few who hasn't do it immediately! Love it every time. 

Honourable Mentions: How The Grinch Stole Christmas(2000), A Christmas Carol (2009), Scrooge, A Christmas Story, Miracle on 35th Street, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Jingle All The Way, Ernest Saves Christmas, Jack Frost, Unaccompanied Minors, Barney's Waiting for Santa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies

13 June 2013 So its been more then a month since posting anything, but for me summer has come and I'm working full time. However, I got a new position this week that leave me more time on the computer so you'll probably and hopefully see more of me from now on. Most of these films I'd say are more directed towards 7-12 year olds. I'd say maybe Labyrinth, Space Jam and Matilda might be an exception for those. Its not that the rest aren't appropriate for them, but more that they might not like them as much. All of them are fantastic films but for this one I went 100% with my own personal experience and preference. Please enjoy this weeks list, Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies. 10.) The Muppets Treasure Island I've never had a huge connection with The Muppets, but I thought a lot of people who feel this list would be unacceptable without it. I've only seen this film once or twice many, many years ago, but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm sort of usin

Top 10 80s Teen/Brat Pack Movies

Like I said, I've decided I want to try and do a new post every Sunday. I've decided that what I'm actually going to do is to have a Top 10 list every Sunday. The last few I've done have been a lot of fun so I figure, why not make it a new thing. Hopefully some people out there will enjoy them! So here they are: my list of Top 10 80's Teen/Brat Pack movies. 10.) Dirty Dancing I put this last, only because I was iffy on even putting it on the list because its not really a "Brat Pack" film, or the kind of "high school" movie I had intended, but she is a teen so I think it counts. Great coming of age/ discovering love movie.

Top 5 Scorsese Films

Top 5 Scorsese Films On my Top 10 Directors list Scorsese topped it. I absolutely adore his films, he absolutely mastered crime thrillers. All of his films have a lot of grit to them, but they always have so many amazing twists and turns. If you haven't seen any of his films, check yourself, because his films are fantastic. For those of you who might disagree with some of the films I left out, I haven't seen Raging Bull so, apologies that it will not break the top 5, but it IS under honourable mentions!