Skip to main content

My Top 10 Favourite Films of All Time [Updated]





I made a Top 10 Films of All Time list a couple years ago, but upon revisiting it recently I decided that it really needed to be updated. I want to make it clear that I am including narrative films only, I have a separate list for Documentaries. If you'd like to check out the first version of this list, you can find it HERE. So, here it is; the new and improved list of my favourite films....






10.) Dirty Dancing
I know what you're thinking, "Dirty Dancing as the first movie on this list? I'm not reading any further, this bitch is crazy." I get it, I'm not saying it is the 10th best film ever created, just that its one of my personal favourites, and its definitely the odd one out from the rest of the list, I promise. I saw this film for the first time in 2007, when my Mom got the 20th Anniversary Special Edition for Christmas and I watched it at least once a week for almost a year after that. I have no explanation as to why, there are just so many quotable lines, the soundtrack is on point, and then there is Patrick Swayze. It won an Oscar for Best Original Song for "Time of My Life." 

9.) Jurassic Park
I love Steven Spielberg, so I'm honestly pretty surprised that this is the only one of his films on this list. I did attempt to put Raiders of the Lost Ark on here, but I just couldn't make room. I think that you would probably have to be dead inside to not enjoy Jurassic Park. Spielberg created so many amazingly suspenseful scenes that it has to be considered one of the greatest thrillers of all time. Even before everything goes to shit, he creates suspense in the most amazing places. The moments leading up to seeing our first dinosaur is one of the greatest examples of creating suspense I've ever seen in a film. One by one we slowly see each person catch a glimpse of what we can only assume is a giant magnificent beast, while Sam Neil is giving his talk until finally he also sees what everyone else is seeing, turns, and slowly rises until he is standing, and only then does the camera finally turn around to show us that what they are seeing is a huge beautiful valley full of Brachiosaurus, a truly breathtaking moment. The film also stars Jeff Goldblum, Laura Dern, and Richard Attenborough. If you are one of the very few people on the planet who have still not seen this film, change this immediately because you have no idea what you're missing. It is #239 on IMDB's Top 250 List, it was nominated for and won 3 Oscars for Best Sound, Best Sound Effects Editing, and Best Visual Effects.

8.) Goodfellas
Martin Scorsese is most likely my favourite director, so I do feel slightly guilty that the only film of his that is on this list is so low, but here we are. I watched this film again last month, and damn is it good. I love The Godfather, and I am aware that it is one of the greatest films of all time, but if I were forced to choose my favourite gangster movie, I honestly get more enjoyment out of watching this one. Maybe its the fact that its all based on a true story that just makes it so much more intense. The performances in this film are also really fantastic, with the likes of Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco and Paul Sorvino, its difficult to go wrong. It is #17 on IMDB's Top 250 List and was nominated for 6 Oscars, winning just 1 for Best Supporting Actor for Joe Pesci. I have to say, I'm sure Dances with Wolves is a fantastic movie, and honestly I haven't seen it, but its difficult to believe that it deserved to beat Goodfellas for Best Picture. 

7.) When Harry Met Sally...
I'm sure that I'm about to lose some more of you with this one, I know that Romantic Comedies have very little respect, and for the most part I would agree that they don't really deserve it, but When Harry Met Sally is by far the greatest romantic comedy of all time. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan at their prime, being incredibly hilarious and charming, and the writing of Nora Ephron, and directing of Rob Reiner, the film works so incredibly well. The film sets out to answer the age old question, "can men and women really be friends?" In the end I'm not really sure if that question is really answered, but its such a sweet, hilarious movie. With scenes like the iconic "sandwich fake orgasm" scene and the final New Years Eve scene, it is such a great classic film from the 80's. The film also stars Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby. It was nominated for one Oscar for Best Screenplay for Nora Ephron, but sadly did not win.

6.) 12 Angry Men
I saw the film for the first time about 3 years ago, and I've seen it a few time since and I adore it. It is easily one of the greatest films of all time, as a filmmaker it completely changed my views on story writing. Some of the best films have the simplest concepts, all you need is a compelling story and good writing. With only a few more then a dozen characters and one location, it is such an interesting story that keeps you guessing the whole time. The acting was excellent, and all of the characters were relatable. Even if we didn't see ourselves in every character, we could identify someone we know who would have responded to the situation similarly. Henry Fonda and Lee J. Cobb gave particularly memorable performances. 12 Angry Men is #6 on IMDB's Top 250 films list and was nominated for 3 Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Writing, but sadly did not win any, which is pretty unbelievable. 

5.) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Most of the rest of this list will make it incredibly clear that I love thrillers. I think a lot of people were skeptical of this film because it was made just 2 years after the swedish version, but after reading the books, I strongly feel that this one is so much better. I feel like Rooney Mara went way further with the character then Noomi Rapace did in her film, and her commitment to the character was rewarded with her oscar nod. This story does such a great job at having both interesting mysteries while also having a great subplots and back stories for the characters. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful thanks to my personal favourite, Jeff Cronenweth, he has worked on most of Finchers films, even as a camera operator before becoming the cinematographer himself. I would definitely argue that Daniel Craig is a bit too attractive to play the Mikael Blomkvist in the books, but it didn't take away from the film for me at all. I mean, who doesn't enjoy looking at Daniel Craig? My only complaint about this film is the casting for the killer. I'm not going to give any spoilers, but I'll just say that even though I enjoy the actor, I knew the second I saw him that he would be the killer because thats just the type of role I would expect for him. Aside from that, the acting was fantastic all around, as I mentioned before, Rooney Mara as well as Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Stellan SkarsgĂ„rd, and Robin Wright. This book series is one of my favourites, so if Fincher could just get started on "The Girl Who Played With Fire" that'd be great... its been 4 years already. The film was nominated for 5 Oscars and won 1 of those for Best Film Editing.

4.) Se7en
Yes, another David Fincher film is in my top 5. This film has basically everything I love in a movie, incredibly acting, an intriguing storyline, and a suspenseful mystery. On top of all of those things, it is directed by one of my absolute favourites, David Fincher, which means the Cinematography is incredible, thanks to Darius Khondji. It is so clear that even though Fincher is not a cinematographer, the visual aspect is incredibly important to him. The film has such an interesting concept, a serial killer murdering people using the seven deadly sins. With a cast like Morgan FreemanBrad Pitt, and Gwyneth Paltrow, you know you're going to be getting great performances, but when the film was first released they decided to leave it as a surprise that Kevin Spacey was in the film. His name does not appear on the poster, or in the opening credits and he did no promotion for the film, leaving it a complete surprise to the audience that he was the killer. Its little things like that that makes this film one of the greatest. It is #23 on IMDB's Top 250 list and was nominated for one oscar for Best Film Editing, but did not win, I cannot help but feel that the Academy dropped the ball on that one. 


3.) The Silence of the Lambs
The Silence of the Lambs has a very special place in my heart, because I can attribute it directly to where my absolute obsession with movies began. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved movies, when I was in my first year of University, I was bored one night and decided to try and find a film to watch. It was the first movie that I really went looking for to watch because I'd heard of it, but had never actually seen it. It was after I'd seen it that I realized all of the films I was missing out on and made it my mission to watch every film I'd ever heard about, but never seen. Obviously it will take me a lifetime to do that, but it started my curiosity about film, which quickly developed into deep, deep love. Honestly, I don't even know what to say about this film. It might just be perfect. I mean, the story of Hannibal Lecter is just so fascinating, and that isn't even the main focus of this film. Anthony Hopkins only appears in about a total of 15 minutes of the film and yet he absolutely steals the show. Jodie Foster delivers an incredible performance, as well as Ted Levine who is absolutely terrifying. It is currently #25 on IMDB's Top 250 list and was nominated for 7 Oscars winning 5 for Best Writing for Ted Tally, Best Director for Jonathan Demme, Best Actress for Jodie Foster, Best Actor for Anthony Hopkins, and Best Picture. It is one of only three films to have won the "big 5" categories at the Oscars.

2.) American Beauty
There are two movies on this list that remained exactly where they were the last time, American Beauty, and The Breakfast Club. American Beauty is definitely not a film that appeals to everyone. There are many uncomfortable parts, but as a whole, the film is so completely satisfying that you are able to look past the bizarre things that happen and just see it for this amazingly dramatic and comedic masterpiece that it is. The acting in this film was absolutely incredible from every single person. Kevin Spacey is one of my all-time favourite actors, he appears twice on this list, and for good reason, he is freaking amazing. There were a few films of his that I enjoyed before seeing this movie, but it wasn't until I saw this one that I knew I was hooked for life, if he is in a movie I will definitely check it out. Annette Bening also give an outstanding performance in this film, she is just wonderful. Then you have Thora Birch, Wes Bentley, Mena Suvari, and an incredibly powerful performance from Chris Cooper, I've never seen him perform better in any other film. It is #61 on IMDB's Top 250 list and was nominated for 8 Oscars, winning 5 for Best Writing for Alan Ball, Best Cinematography for Conrad L. Hall, Best Actor for Kevin Spacey, Best Director for Sam Mendes, and Best Picture.

1.) The Breakfast Club
Here it is, still at number one for all of these years and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere any time soon. I think that people often overlook the concerns of every day life for teens but it isn't something to take lightly and that's what I love about this film. It treats there concerns with respect and seriousness. Am I naive enough to believe that that one afternoon affected their entire lives and that they all left as better people, no, probably not but it would be nice to think that it changed the way they thought at least a bit. John Hughes really understood how to deal with teens and how to write compelling stories about them. Even though this cast isn't exactly known for being the greatest actors, I think John Hughes was really able to get some great performances out of them. Whether its Judd Nelson's "banner Christmas at the Bender household" scene or Emilio Estevez's breakdown when talking about the pressures of being an athlete, or even Anthony Michael Hall's confession about contemplating suicide due to the pressures of school and the future, its such a powerful and yet also hilarious movie that I believe is timeless and will still impact generations to come. This film is not on IMDB's Top 250 Films list, nor was it nominated for any Oscars, but it is my favourite film of all time.



Thank you for checking out my list! I'm sure that in another couple of years I'll feel the need to come back and change a few things again, but for now, I'm good with it. Hopefully you enjoyed it! It was very difficult to make the final decisions, so check out the honourable mentions below!


Honourable Mentions: Django Unchained, The Sound of Music, Schindler's List, The Aviator, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, In The Heat of the Night, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Dazed and Confused, A Beautiful Mind, Midnight in Paris, Mystic River, The Godfather, Titanic, Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, An Education, Never Let Me Go, American Psycho, Cloud Atlas, 10 Things I Hate About You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies

13 June 2013 So its been more then a month since posting anything, but for me summer has come and I'm working full time. However, I got a new position this week that leave me more time on the computer so you'll probably and hopefully see more of me from now on. Most of these films I'd say are more directed towards 7-12 year olds. I'd say maybe Labyrinth, Space Jam and Matilda might be an exception for those. Its not that the rest aren't appropriate for them, but more that they might not like them as much. All of them are fantastic films but for this one I went 100% with my own personal experience and preference. Please enjoy this weeks list, Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies. 10.) The Muppets Treasure Island I've never had a huge connection with The Muppets, but I thought a lot of people who feel this list would be unacceptable without it. I've only seen this film once or twice many, many years ago, but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm sort of usin

Top 10 80s Teen/Brat Pack Movies

Like I said, I've decided I want to try and do a new post every Sunday. I've decided that what I'm actually going to do is to have a Top 10 list every Sunday. The last few I've done have been a lot of fun so I figure, why not make it a new thing. Hopefully some people out there will enjoy them! So here they are: my list of Top 10 80's Teen/Brat Pack movies. 10.) Dirty Dancing I put this last, only because I was iffy on even putting it on the list because its not really a "Brat Pack" film, or the kind of "high school" movie I had intended, but she is a teen so I think it counts. Great coming of age/ discovering love movie.

Top 5 Scorsese Films

Top 5 Scorsese Films On my Top 10 Directors list Scorsese topped it. I absolutely adore his films, he absolutely mastered crime thrillers. All of his films have a lot of grit to them, but they always have so many amazing twists and turns. If you haven't seen any of his films, check yourself, because his films are fantastic. For those of you who might disagree with some of the films I left out, I haven't seen Raging Bull so, apologies that it will not break the top 5, but it IS under honourable mentions!